Braised Octopus with Alexandra's Pikliz
- 750 g Octopus
- 2 bok choy
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 onion
- 100 ml soy sauce
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 4 tbsp of Alexandra’s Pikliz
- 1/2 cup of Italian Rice (or you can use risotto)
- 1 tbsp butter
- Few dry garlic flakes (optional)
Steps (creates 4 dish)
- Clean the octopus.
- In a large bowl, bring 1 L of water to boil.
- Season with salt and pepper, cinnamon stick, black peppercorn, ½ onion, ½ of the garlic, soy sauce; simmer for 5 min.
- Transfer the soup base to a high-pressure cooker, add in the octopus and cook for 30 minutes.
- Take ½ of the cooked octopus and dice it.
- In a heated pot, lightly oil, then place in the remaining onion (diced) and garlic, saute until aromatic
- Add in diced octopus and rice, and ¾ cup of water (or ½ cup if you like a firmer texture).
- Simmer on low heat with cover on until rice fully absorbs the water.
- While rice is cooking, wash the bok choy, and cut each in half.
- On a nonstick pan, use 1 tbsp of butter, grill bok choy and remaining octopus until light char.
- Once everything is prepared, assemble the dish. Rice on the bottom with Bak Choy, then the charred octopus.
- For each portion, add 1 tbsp of Alexandra’s Pikliz sauce on top, garnish the dry garlic flakes.
Picture and Recipe credit: Smileey.Lucy